About The Faith Alliance
The Faith Alliance is a gathering of concerned faith community leaders seeking full inclusion of, and justice for, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons at all levels of public and religious life. In as much as LGBT persons have been excluded and victimized by communities of faith, we seek to rectify the pains of that exclusion and build just and creative relationships between all persons. The Faith Alliance exists to foster constructive conversations on the intersection of faith and sexuality for the healing of individuals and communities.
Along the way we aspire to:
- Embody and send a message of welcoming, good news to the LGBT community in SW Michigan
- Encourage LGBT awareness and support within and beyond our respective constituencies
- Advocate for LGBT equality
While we are focused primarily on the LGBT experience, we will challenge any oppressive force against God’s children.
Stay up to date with events and announcements by liking us on Facebook.
Partners and Affirming Organizations
Official Partners of the Faith Alliance
- First Congregational Church
- First United Methodist Church
- Kalamazoo Friends Meeting (Quakers)
- Phoenix Community Church UCC
- Portage Chapel Hill United Methodist Church
- Portage United Church of Christ
- Skyridge Church of the Brethren
Other Affirming Religious Organizations
In addition, the following organizations have requested to be listed by the Kalamazoo Gay Lesbian Resource Center as LGBTQ-affirming faith based organizations. They may or may not be active in the Faith Alliance.
Please research these organizations for yourself as they vary widely in their public commitments and policies. It is recommended that you look on their website for an official statement of welcome, a pride flag or some other visible sign of commitment or give the organization a call and ask to speak to someone in leadership about their policies.
- Congregation of Moses
- First Baptist Church of Kalamazoo
- First Congregational UCC of Battle Creek
- First Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo
- Kalamazoo College Chapel
- Lutheran Church of the Savior
- People’s Unitarian Church
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
- St. Thomas Episcopal Church (Battle Creek)
- Saint Thomas More
- Temple B’nai Israel
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Battle Creek
- Unitarian Universalist Community Church
- Unity Church
- Wesley Foundation at Western MI University
- Westminster Presbyterian Church of Portage
We want to make sure listings stay up-to-date. Please contact us, if you see information that needs to be updated.