First Thursdays is a monthly social program of OutFront Kalamazoo working to connect folks in the LGBTQ community and support local LGBTQ-friendly businesses.
Audience: All adults (LGBTQ and allies) 18+ and older are welcome to participate in our First Thursdays events.
Group information: First Thursdays primarily serves as a social gathering for the local LGBTQ community. This is a welcoming, social group for individuals from all professions. We offer monthly events at various bars or restaurants around Kalamazoo.
Meeting details: We gather on the first Thursday of each month from 6 pm to 9 pm to socialize as LGBTQ individuals. Locations are announced in advance on the OutFront Kalamazoo website and Facebook page. Usually, OutFront Kalamazoo will purchase appetizers to share with the group, but attendees are responsible for purchasing their own drinks.
History of First Thursdays: The networking group was established in 2009 by Shawn Brier. Bill Jefferson joined a few months later, and the two quickly grew the network to over 350 LGBTQ professionals in the Kalamazoo area, known then as known as the Kalamazoo LGBT Professionals Network. The name was changed to First Thursdays in November 2013 to reflect the welcoming, social aspect of the group.
- First Thursday of every month, 6 – 9 pm, at a different location every month.
- January 3rd: University Roadhouse, 1332 W Michigan Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49006
- February 7th: One Well Brewing (Board Game Night), 4213 Portage Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49001
- March 7th: Old Burdicks, 100 W. Michigan Avenue (Radisson – 1st Floor)
- April 4: Grand Traverse Distillery, 224 E. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- May 2: Bell’s Brewery, 355 E Kalamazoo Ave, Kalamazoo, MI
- June 6: Latitude 42 (Oshtemo), 6101 W Main St, Kalamazoo, MI
- July 4: CLOSED
- August 1: Harvey’s on the Mall, 416 S Burdick St, Kalamazoo, MI
- September 5: Central City Taphouse (kzoo), 359 S Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo, MI
Check out our facebook page for details and locations